home baby our home featured advertise services

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Mud Room Update and New Lighting

Slow and steady wins the race, right?! If there was a race to complete a mud room, then I would win it following that theory. I've made a bit of progress on our mud room that I said we were in need of way back in June. The mud room, a.k.a. laundry room lacked personality, functionality, storage, and seating. I have solved the functionality, storage, and seating problem. I am working towards adding personality. It's slow progress because I keep changing my mind on things! Go figure!

Here's the before shot:


Here's what has occurred so far:
  • Added a bench with storage
  • Added baskets and bins on shelves
  • The lonely bench needed new pillows
  • New laundry hampers for the dirty clothes
  • New tray with fabric lining
  • Cork board makeover here
  • New dog bowl for Lily- She needed some love too!
I made some steps in the right direction, but the space still had a horiffic, industrial kind of light you would see at Wal-Mart. Lets just say ugly! It was throwing off the whole vibe of the area, not to mention putting off a brighter than the moon flourescent glow.



Not anymore! I present to you the new lighting with a warm glow!



 I purchased this light from IKEA. It is a laundry room/mud room after all, so I wasn't going to drop a ton on a light. This serves the purpose and transforms the space.

Next up is paint! I have 3 colors on the wall thanks to my sweet friend who has let me try all her gray tones. I've pretty much settled on one of them. Now, I just have to paint the space which could be who knows when. Baby steps...

After paint, comes final touches and a reveal! Maybe that will happen by the new year?!

4 comments:

  1. I have one of those horrible lights in our closet and bathroom. Since we're renting I can't change it, and it drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for finding me Megan! Cute blog, cute daughter! So many fun ideas, thanks for following my blog & glad I found yours! Cheers! Emily lucite + lavender

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that IKEA light and think it is so fun that you put it in the laundry room. It's a great room to just go for it. Good job going slow and steady. I tend to go lightning fast and burning out before the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the light! Can't wait to see it all done. Thanks for the visit and sweet comment @TheDedicatedHouse. It means the world. Hope you have a grand evening. Toodles, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete