home baby our home featured advertise services

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Monogrammed Pumpkin

Fall is here which means it's pumpkin time. Where we live there is actually a pumpkin shortage so I scooped one up over the weekend as well as some smaller ones. I'm in the process of decorating the front porch and one idea I came across was on Pinterest. Instead of carving a boring pumpkin I decided to paint our last initial on it.

I started by drawing a block letter R in pen, then went over it in sharpie to give a clear line. Actually, multiple lines until I got it just right.


Then, I took acrylic paint and painted the R. You can see there are 2 since I painted one for my parent's being the ultra sweet daughter that I am. Mine's the tall and skinny one, and theirs is the short and plump one.


Just a note when painting the tricky, slicky thing-apply multiple coats and let the paint dry completely in between. I applied about 4 until it covered completely. Darn waxy thing! And be careful not to knick it because the paint will chip right off. Urgh!

After the black was completely dry I painted white dots over top. Then, I touched up around the dots using a black sharpie since I am OCD and wanted perfectly round circles. Lastly, I stuck my beauty on the porch to dry in the hot Texas sun.  


I think it turned out pretty sweet! Would you attempt painting one for your home? Also, check back because I've got more front porch tricks up my sleeve to share with you!


*Linked up here: Bear Rabbit Bear, Craft O Maniac, Embellishing Life, CRAFT, Skip to My Lou, Between Naps on the Porch, The Girl Creative, Sugar Bee Crafts, Today's Creative Blog, All Thingz Related, Someday Crafts, Savvy Southern Style, Saved by Suzy, House of Hepworths, Shabby Chic Cottage, Beyond the Picket Fence, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Finding Fabulous, Remodelholic, Design it Chic,
Fingerprints on the Fridge, Fun to Craft, Tatertots and Jello, Serenity Now, A Vision to Remember, Funky Junk Interiors, Along for the Ride, Under the Table and Dreaming

7 comments:

  1. I love it Megan! I am definitely stealing this idea. I haven't been feeling into fall decorating yet (maybe b/c it's so darn hot!), but you are making me think it's time to start going with this cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea, would go great on my porch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am so happy to have found yours! This pumpkin is just adorable - I am a sucker for polka dots. Did you know that I was born/raised in Houston? I am your newest follower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun! I love the polka dots! I'm featuring this on my blog tomorrow!!

    http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this cutie needs to come by NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY and join in on all the fun...hope to see ya there:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love creative ideas for pumpkins! Great job.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute...and a great way to let a child help decorate a pumpkin w/o a KNIFE!!

    well done!

    ReplyDelete